HOW TO BECOME A DONOR
Ready to Get Started?
If you would like to start the screening process right now, fill out the online eligibility form to the right (or below, if you are using a mobile device or tablet). Scroll down for more information, donor FAQs and donor stories.
If you have extra breastmilk in your freezer, consider donating it to help fragile babies. Mothers of premature infants often struggle to produce adequate breastmilk for a variety of reasons. For these families, donor human milk is a welcomed gift during one of the most stressful times of their lives. Donating to a nonprofit milk bank ensures that fragile babies in our community receive safe, optimal nutrition with immunological protection.
- Learn more about how donor human milk saves little lives.
- Read about babies who have received life-saving donor milk from our lab.
- Learn more about Mothers' Milk Bank of North Texas by watching this video.
- See the steps to donating below.
1. DO DONORS HAVE TO SEND 100 OUNCES OF BREASTMILK AT A TIME?
There is no minimum or maximum amount required to donate at one time. Donors are asked to commit to donating 100 ounces over their entire donation period.
2. SHOULD BREASTMILK BE FRESH OR FROZEN WHEN SENT TO THE MILK BANK OR DROP OFF SITE?
We only accept frozen breastmilk that has previously been stored in freezers.
3. HOW OLD CAN BREASTMILK BE WHEN DONATED?
We prefer to receive milk before it is 6 months old. If you have milk that is older than 6 months, please contact us for further assessment.
4. WHERE IS MY BREASTMILK SENT FOLLOWING THE PASTEURIZATION PROCESS?
After pasteurization and lab testing, the majority of donor milk is sent to North Texas NICUs. We also serve a few hospitals in other states like Arkansas that don't have milk banks.
5. ARE MOTHERS COMPENSATED FOR DONATING THEIR EXCESS BREASTMILK?
Donors do not receive any payment for their donations.
6. ARE DONORS ABLE TO SEND THEIR BREASTMILK FROM OUT-OF-STATE?
We will gladly send insulated boxes and cover all shipping expenses for donors who wish to send their milk from out-of-state.
7. CAN DONORS SEND BREASTMILK ALREADY STORED IN THEIR FREEZERS BEFORE THE SCREENING PROCESS IS COMPLETE?
Donors may send us frozen breastmilk that is within the acceptable age range and free of restricted medications. Please note, for safety reasons, breastmilk sent to the milk bank cannot be returned.
8. WHAT KIND OF STORAGE CONTAINERS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR DONATED BREASTMILK?
All types of breastmilk storage containers are acceptable. However, we can provide storage bags when available, so that donors do not have to purchase their own.
9. HOW LONG CAN DONORS DONATE?
Approved donors are allowed to donate for as long as they wish, regardless of the age of their baby.
CÓMO SER DONANTE DE LECHE
Donor Eligibility Form
Please complete the form below and click the "submit" button. One of our Donor Coordinators will follow up with you by phone or email.
Complete el siguiente formulario y haga clic en el botón "enviar." Uno de nuestros coordinadores de donantes se comunicará con usted por teléfono o correo electrónico.